Friday, July 31st was my last day at work as well as move out day from my space in the 505 Graham House. Work was wonderful. It felt great to be on my last day, shortly free from my routines. But it was also a little bitter-sweet. My coworkers are great people. At our monthly staff BBQ there were many kinds words said about me, which is definitely a humbling, but rewarding and fabulous experience. It gave me a fresh sprig of confidence about entering into a new job, life, home, and culture in Belize. I am a wonderful person. I will do good things, ideally wherever I go. But I will miss many people as I depart.
It was also a very warm day on the 31st, although not as warm as it had been. Packing up my things was an event. Big changes. It was unsettling to deconstruct my space, take all the last little items and put them in boxes, give them to friends, sell them to strangers, or else take it with me. My bags contain too much stuff. Most of it is clothing, but I'm not ok with the size and extreme weight of at least one bag.. if I'm gonna haul this stuff across the country to DC and then travel with it in some way or another for two years internationally, it better be effing manageable.
I must say that I am appreciative of my photographic memory. It will most definitely come in handy when I need to recall that my green pair of shorts, the longer ones, are in the second compartment of the backpack right before the middle section, underneath the camis. Or that the bathing suits and hair wraps are in the front of the duffel bag. Its going to be interesting living out of a suitcase for the next five weeks potentially, at least.
And now I'm living with my amazing boyfriend for a brief time before I take off in just over two weeks. I was all domestic yesterday shopping at the PSU farmer's market, cleaning out old fridge food, making breakfast... we'll eat many good meals here. I'm definitely eating just about anything I want right now. Perhaps my little food baby is developing.. :) But I won't have this food available to me for much longer. LOVE LOVE LOVE Portland's pallette.
The past several days or week have been chaotic and stressful but today, Sunday, Aug 2 has been wonderful. Lazy Sundays are the best. Happy Birthday to Laura, my sister. And to Chris Blair, a great teacher of challenging students.
Thats all for now from the VH. I'm off to meet up with my Mama. Be well.
Hi Emily! We will also be serving in Belize starting this month! Looking forward to meeting you.
ReplyDelete--Clifton and Alyson