So have I mentioned that training is ridiculously busy? I've wanted to post on the blog for days but haven't had the time, focus or energy necessary. There has been lots going on for me here in Cayo. Many technical training sessions to prepare us for teaching and interacting with youth and with organizations in Belize. Many language sessions packed con espanol, practicando por la futura cuando yo seria en un nuevo sitio y donde la lenguaje de la gente es espanol. Two shorts weeks left of training, and then I will finally be told my permanent site. I'm so excited and very nervous. It just hit me today that at that point, I will have to confront more changes, more challenges and the reality of my future (2 years anyway). But there is no point in worrying about the future. So let me share a bit about what I've been doing specifically lately...
Yesterday was a big day. In the morning, I facilitated a workshop for 25 high school students, along with 3 team members as co-facilitators, on the topic of Communication. I find this ironic due to the fact that I am not comfortable speaking in front of people and I don't particularly find communication to be my strong suit. Although, to give myself credit I have gotten better over the years. Anyway, the workshop/presentation went pretty well. I introduced the icebreaker "Telephone" to the kids which was an entirely new thing to all but one! Our starting message was, "You were given two ears and one mouth because listening is twice as hard as talking." The results were amusing and generally accurate.
Following that 60min presentation I left with my group to go have breakfast and debrief. We split ways - two of us heading to Spanish class. When we started down the walkway to the front door of our training room, I stopped to notice this tiny little creature sitting so perfectly in our way up ahead. It took about 5 seconds to notice that it was a little kitten! No other kittens around, no mama, no food items, no people... presumably wandered away from the pack or else was dropped on the doorstep by someone who had nothing else to do with her. I immediately fell in love, brought her into the church, tried my best to pay attention to Spanish and learn something but of course entirely distracted by this ridiculously small creature tottering around. Then as I'm sitting with my attention split, a butterfly flutters into the room, flys around a bit and then head out the window. Kittens and butterflies! I couldn't ask for a better day.
After Spanish it was time to head out to the 4H in Belmopan for another presentation! This was to be done by all 9 of us in Youth Development, split in two teaching teams and teaching a group of 50 kids split in two. Our topic? HIV - AIDS. It was quite interesting. Informative. Interactive to the best that we could get them involved. Full of laughter. Full of dirty words. And even a condom demonstration in the end which was an unbelievable opportunity considering the often conservative nature of education in Belize. This was a new thing for me entirely and I don't think it will be the last presentation of this nature. Note to all: when doing a condom demonstration, make sure you have a firm banana (etc.) Lots of laughs had by all.
So did I mention that I decided that I must adopt the kitty? Yeah... Someone has to love her. She is being fostered by another PCV living in Belmopan until I have a permanent dwelling. Then I will have a cat for at least the next two years. Her name is Raja. She is adorable. I don't love cats, but she's not gonna have a litter box indoors so I think I can manage. :) I'm very excited.
This weekend is Belize's celebration of Independence. The celebrations begin tonight and every night through Monday. Through the end of the month most likely. Its gonna be a fun party. Now, if only they had some good beer for me to drink. Oh well, I'll enjoy the music and the people.
For now, I must go. Tomorrow morning comes early and even though it is Saturday, I have another workshop to attend and co-faciliate on Leadership - this time for about 100 kids!! Ah! More on that later. Check out my facebook site for photos. I put a few up. Had hopes for more but this computer keeps failing the process. Anyway, I tried. Be well. Love to all.
Yesterday was a big day. In the morning, I facilitated a workshop for 25 high school students, along with 3 team members as co-facilitators, on the topic of Communication. I find this ironic due to the fact that I am not comfortable speaking in front of people and I don't particularly find communication to be my strong suit. Although, to give myself credit I have gotten better over the years. Anyway, the workshop/presentation went pretty well. I introduced the icebreaker "Telephone" to the kids which was an entirely new thing to all but one! Our starting message was, "You were given two ears and one mouth because listening is twice as hard as talking." The results were amusing and generally accurate.
Following that 60min presentation I left with my group to go have breakfast and debrief. We split ways - two of us heading to Spanish class. When we started down the walkway to the front door of our training room, I stopped to notice this tiny little creature sitting so perfectly in our way up ahead. It took about 5 seconds to notice that it was a little kitten! No other kittens around, no mama, no food items, no people... presumably wandered away from the pack or else was dropped on the doorstep by someone who had nothing else to do with her. I immediately fell in love, brought her into the church, tried my best to pay attention to Spanish and learn something but of course entirely distracted by this ridiculously small creature tottering around. Then as I'm sitting with my attention split, a butterfly flutters into the room, flys around a bit and then head out the window. Kittens and butterflies! I couldn't ask for a better day.
After Spanish it was time to head out to the 4H in Belmopan for another presentation! This was to be done by all 9 of us in Youth Development, split in two teaching teams and teaching a group of 50 kids split in two. Our topic? HIV - AIDS. It was quite interesting. Informative. Interactive to the best that we could get them involved. Full of laughter. Full of dirty words. And even a condom demonstration in the end which was an unbelievable opportunity considering the often conservative nature of education in Belize. This was a new thing for me entirely and I don't think it will be the last presentation of this nature. Note to all: when doing a condom demonstration, make sure you have a firm banana (etc.) Lots of laughs had by all.
This weekend is Belize's celebration of Independence. The celebrations begin tonight and every night through Monday. Through the end of the month most likely. Its gonna be a fun party. Now, if only they had some good beer for me to drink. Oh well, I'll enjoy the music and the people.
For now, I must go. Tomorrow morning comes early and even though it is Saturday, I have another workshop to attend and co-faciliate on Leadership - this time for about 100 kids!! Ah! More on that later. Check out my facebook site for photos. I put a few up. Had hopes for more but this computer keeps failing the process. Anyway, I tried. Be well. Love to all.
Raja! So cute!!! I'm so glad you'll have a friend. I love days filled with kittens, butterflys, and firm bananas. Love you sis!
ReplyDeleteEmily with a cat on her lap? Adopting it to boot?!? I'm so proud of you! :)
ReplyDelete