I was just having a conversation with my friend Heather, whose father is sending her seed packets that he found on summer closeout sale for about 20 cents a pack. What a great deal! That got me thinking about other summer close out sale opportunities. What an idea... to end summer. Well folks, I don't have that option. Nope. I'll be in perpetual summer for the next two years. Except for possibly in December which is "cool". I'm sceptical. People talk of winter here and I giggle a little. They can't possibly know the meaning of that season. I think at most, I'll be wearing some sleeves and perhaps sleeping under one blanket for once instead of on or under the sheet as is the case now.
So, if you happen to see flip flops of decent quality for five dollas or seed packets for cents that would grow in my future garden, shorts (in need of the sleeping variety) or tank tops for ridiculously cheap prices - think of me - your friend in Belize. Your friend who is continually sweating and perpetually hot. Forever more, until Belize and I part ways. Or until I seek refuge in cooler locations in the world.
And now I'll tell you a story. Today I went to Cahal Pech to see the Mayan temples there. AMAZING! This is the first time I've had the opportunity to see a Mayan archaelogical site and it was unbelivable. Even more amazing, its practically in my back yard from my host family's house. I'm surprised they haven't bragged of it - or even mentioned it to me. My friend Christine and I walked around exploring every nook and cranny, climbing stairs both big and small, peeking into caves and rooms, standing where the ancient rulers once must have watched human sacrafices, walking into creepy corridors where energy abounded. We were feeling out the grounds, trying to put ourselves back in time and imagine what the Mayans went through. Walking through two separate corridors Christine and I both had the most intense sensation of something. I can't even describe the feeling and the sights. I can't do it justice. But I will definitely learn more about the culture while I"m here. It fascinates me beyond words. I want to Know. While we were putsing around, I came upon a local. He asked me how my adventure was going. I expressed my thoughts and he shared that he came to this site every Sunday, and still can't figure it out. Absolutely Amazing.
All these words and no pictures!? Well - don't worry, I took at least 100 in just a couple hours. There will be some posted later this week. I'm not at home and don't have time right now though.
Tonight is our host family appreciation dinner. In about an hour we'll head to the park, start up the BBQ and hopefully cook some amazing food for all the great people that have had us in their homes for our time in Cayo. And on Friday, we're outta here. Woohoo! I'm excited for whats next, but definitely going to miss this little town. Its pretty fabulous.
Wishing you all a wonderful Sunday and a beautiful start to a new week. For those of you transitioning into fall and winter... think of me. I'm always sweating. Yesterday was about 120'F and today is much the same if not hotter. I could use summer items year round.
No comments:
Post a Comment