So lately, life has happened so quickly and with so many details and small moments, that by the time I sit down to write it down, I'm at a loss for words. But with a few days I can usually catch myself up to speed and thus share with the rest of you... I tried to upload videos but I'm sorry it didn't work. 10 minutes and I hit cancel. I don't have time for this. Check out facebook though, where I've posted some more photos!
Last weekend I went with most my group to Blue Hole National Park. This isn't THE Blue Hole that most people associate with Belize. Not the one with aerial shots, great diving and snorkeling, visited by all tourists... This is the one with a MILLION mosquitos, superhighways of leaf cutter ants and agua muy frio. It was beautiful though. We attempted a hike of about one mile into the woods to check out a much larger cave. As we progressed into the woods, the trees became more dense, the smells were distinct and peculiar, the howler monkeys started carrying on. And the mosquitos swarmed us. Let me repeat: swarmed us. I've never seen so many mosquitos. Each person I walked behind had a cloud of these pesky insects following their asses, no doubt sucking blood at every opportunity. We were nearly to the cave and had to turn back because it was so bad. Most likely, had we reached the cave, we would have smiled, snapped a pictures and run in the direction from where we came, eager to be out of the densely mosquitoed jungle.
Later that day I met up with my Spanish group to cook our selected food. It was either garnaches or salbutes. Someone help me out here... For the life of me I can't get these two straight. Either way, they pretty much have the same ingredients. We did an great job cooking (it felt great to be working in a kitchen!) and the food was delicious and filling. Good work team!
Following our dinner experience, I met up with some other people and wandered downtown to check out the festivities. This was Sunday night, September 20th and the eve of their Independence Day celebrations. This meant much festivities, dancing, music, and even a small carvinal! We went to the park to ride the ferris wheel and eat cotton candy. As soon as I was seated on the ferris wheel, I wanted to pray for my safety. Such rides in developing countries put our tame U.S. rides to shame. You want a real rush? Just loosen a couple screws and bolts, kick up the speed, go forwards, go backwards, rock the cart and hang on for dear life. Or if you're really suicidal throw your hands in the air and prepare to die. It was terrifying. It was exhilirating. It was thrilling and the best part: I survived. Woopy! Exhausted but hanging on, I made it to a rooftop with some friends and stayed awake to midnight and beyond to see the fireworks! Which were launched so close I could have thrown a rock into the launch site. Another example of how things are (less safe but) more exciting here! And another moment to appreciate my livelihood.
No comments:
Post a Comment