Today was a Leadership workshop! The lovely Zan (fellow PCV) organized the whole event and we were each put in charge of a game. A week ago when we assessed our settings at the school, we all stated out loud that we'd LOVE to have an overcast day for this workshop. To be outside in the sun beating down on you, running around, becomes unbearably hot and sweaty so quick. But alas, it rained this morning, quit raining for the most part and was luxuriously overcast, grey and COOL for most the day! It looked like Juneau or Portland in the depths of fall - and I couldn't have been Happier. The ironies of life.
So this workshop... There was some talk of leadership before and then about 2 hours of play! Constructive of course. I was in charge of the name game, also helped with the "combination lock" game, watched and assisted with the Labrynth (which was a cirlce actually - the only way out was to ask for help) and then missed but heard great things about the human wall. We had about 20 kids and the day was a huge success. We wrapped up the day discussing leadership and the kids actually learned something! Success. I even got two hugs in the end! I was dreading waking up this morning on a Saturday for this, but I actually had a blast working with the kids. My nervousness was present in the morning but subsided mostly. I was nervous to even explain/begin a name game. How ridiculous. I don't have much direct service work with kids though - the least of my group - so its challenging mentally to jump right in and do this. And then I ponder where I'll be and the solidarity I'll have once in my permanent site...
Ah!!
Less than two weeks and I will find out my placement. I'm so nervous. My stomach flops around with an anxiety that I find peculiar. I'm already in Belize. (Contrary to so many of my dreams which seem to be in Portland and sometimes back and forth.) So why this anxiety? Strangely enough, even though training has been the bane of my existence sometimes, its become a sort of comfortable annoyance in life. I must be fair - it hasn't all be horrible. I'm learning a lot. I'm meeting many people from the community as well as current Peace Corps Volunteers. I'm gaining many new skills and tools to prepare me for whats ahead - hopefully. And the schedule of training - though ridiculously busy and exhausting - has become comfortable. In just a short amount of time, I will pack my bags again, say goodbye to my host family, and be on the road to another city that hasn't been named to me and that I possibly haven't been to. The list of possibilities includes: Corozal, San Ignacio, Belmopan, Orange Walk, Belize City, Dangriga, Punta Gorda. I could be working in schools, working with an organization, or any number of things. There is plenty to speculate on but of course no knowledge as of yet. We shall see. And I will slide into whichever position is handed my way.
New counterpart, new host family, new city, new home eventually.. , new views, more Spanish... the changes continue. But I'll find a home! I'll get my space! I get to SETTLE!! Unbelievably exciting.
Anyway, thats the news. You'll all know when I do where I'm going. It will be a big day. October 2nd the news will be revealed. October 22nd I will take an oath of service at our "swearing in" ceremony and celebration. Woohoo!
I'm sorry I haven't gotten a long email, letter, or stationary to you. It's on my list of things I want to do this week. I have butterflies in my stomach for you, sister. It's ecxtiting and nerve racking to think of the possibilities of where you may end up. I'm glad, though, that you've settled into your training. And we thought 2 weeks were tough in Florida! I'm sorry I didn't equate the depth and struggle of your training sooner. I would have been diligent to send you sweet things in the mail. Mama didn't communicate your hardships! Even though you're beginning to love it and you're keeping in the forefront of your mind why you're doing it. Good job on your first worskshops! You really should have more confidence - you are a natural!! Muah!
ReplyDelete