Get this. I've been here for six months already! As of February 22nd I have been in country for six whole months and therefore no longer get to haul my packages out of the post office without having to pay duties. Its been explained to me that duty fees are usually 20% of the listed value of the package and if its something extra special (technology especially) then duties go up from there.
So. Here's a few things to consider if you're contemplating on sending me mail, which you should because it makes me oh so happy. Apparently padded envelopes (of all sizes) come through easiest without being opened by the post office. Boxes are more likely to be opened and checked. This isn't a terrible thing but just something to be aware of. It does mean that Frank from the post office here sees my candy then I have to share. But sharing is caring and I'm not above bribery.
Also, when filling out the customs slip, which is attached to the outside of the package usually before mailing, be modest with your pricing/content information. If you're sending me a diamond necklace (don't) list it as beads maybe. No one wants to steal beads. Or if you spend $15 on that new CD you want to send me, they don't really need to know that. Take the price tag off, unwrap it even, and mark that it cost a dollar perhaps. This is just an example. I hardly know anyone who buys new CDs anymore, sadly. I'd prefer music on flash drives or as I-tunes credit. :)
If you're sending something that they might like to confiscate, or that might likely dissapear from the package before I see it, hide it or obscure it in someway. I hear that tampon boxes are generally left unmessed with. Go figure.
Good to know! Thank you for sharing some tips :) I've been wanting to get another care package in the mail to you. I'll let you know when some things are on their way. Love you!
ReplyDelete