Friday, February 19, 2010

"San Ignacio Town"

I wrote this last night, inspired by the creative energies of Open Mic night which happens Thursday evening in San Ignacio at a cute little cafe. I read a poem last night at the event, a little love poem I wrote a few weeks back, and it was the first time I'd read a poem of mine in public like that. It was pretty nerve wracking even though I was really only in front of maybe 10 people - most of which I didn't know very well. I'm really glad I did it though and I'll be back next week to share this one. The poem is inspired by San Ignacio (aka Cayo) and a hot Saturday as I walked back to my host families house after visiting the market. I lived in Cayo for about two months for training when I first arrived in Belize for Peace Corps service.

"San Ignacio Town"

Speekin da Kriol
Hablando en español
Dodging the buses on narrow streets
As I stroll out of da market
Fruits, veggies, spices and herbs
Pescado, Tomato, and soon avocado

Shifting my shilling bag to my next hand
I walk to the beat of a drum, a hum
Music pulsing like the blood in my veins on a hot day
as I walk uphill, uphill and up another hill
Sweat escapes my pores, makes a break past my brow
Trickling down, down, down until I wipe it away

A rasta man sits on da corner, his long dark dreads hangin free
“Hey gyal, tsss tsss, hey baby”
“Aftanoon” I say, continuing on my way

Shifting my shilling bag to my next hand
I watch the dogs follow a bitch who probably needs to get fixed
She shoots me a pleading glance for food or friendship
Not knowing that she doesn’t stand a chance
of finding food from dis white gyal or a home at which to stay
There’s plenty of animals to rescue for sure, but not for me, not today

Still walking uphill and uphill some more
sweat escaping every pore
I want nothing more than to strip and jump into
A cool pool of water

Against my desires I climb successfully to the top
Cahal Pech Hill.
What an ascent, but damn will my ass look good in no time
I catch my breath
Switch my shilling bag to my next hand
My potatoes, my tomatoes
And I enjoy another most beautiful moment of my day
I reached the top
I turn to look at everything I’ve climbed above
Beautiful, vibrant, lively San Ignacio Town

Surrounded by a sea of green
Luscious jungle, spread far and dense, thick with
Trees, vines, rivers carving their way
Plants that heal and spirits to which some still pray
The beat of the drum pulses and hums in my head
And I smile, catching my breath, releasing a sigh
I’m hot and I’m sweaty but I’m happy and alive
In beautiful, vibrant, lively San Ignacio Town

1 comment: