This week I went with Terra, another PCV from Cayo, to Howard Smith Nazarene Primary school in Benque. This school holds a club hour once a week where all the kids have to sign up for a club, each club having 25 students. Terra and I were there to help out a teacher with her chess club. It turns out there are 50 kids interested in chess here so we split them into two clubs, beginners and advanced. Terra went to work with the advanced group while I stayed in with the newbies. Introductions were made all around and the class began. The teacher I was working with had taught the club last semester so she knew what she was doing, but the class was entirely new. All the kids introduced themselves and then I did the same. And class began.
At first I was nervous to be looked at as a teacher of chess. I've never won a game in my life and my playing experience is limited. But I've been to two trainings (November and January) and know more than most kids here. Once again, my limited information is useful and appreciated! I helped the teacher in explaining things and really enjoyed myself as I stepped into the role of teacher. It was great to be in a classroom, at a school, interacting with kids and working with people. And man! I admire teachers. Schools here are crazy. I'm sure they're chaotic most anywhere in the world, but the energy alone is enough to drain you. There manages to be some sort of chaotic order though.
Next week, and every week following, I'll be dropping in to help this teacher with her class. The kids will know my name and hopefully I'll remember some of theirs. Otherwise, I'll just be hearing Miss Emily! as I turn to wave and shout a dias, tardes, noches, or hola in return. All in good time, I only have a few thousand names and faces to remember... no problem!
after your "what am I doing here?" post, two about what a great impact you are having in the lives of your fellow humans. I'm so glad you've experienced the joy of your being there.
ReplyDeletecan't wait to hear more.