At last weeks Open Mic night in Cayo I was challenged/inspired to write a poem with this title. Another chica will be writing a poem titled something like, "The Dogs of Cayo". It should be a fun duet of creative writing. This isn't my favorite poem ever and I just wrote it last night, so it might change, but I've followed through with my word and I think its kinda fun...
"Cat Call Withdrawal"
Getting dressed in the morning, I'm in a good mood
I choose to wear a cute dress to match my attitude
I wear it round the house, making sure it fits
The V cuts down low, the length accentuates my hips
I'm feeling pretty sexy looking in the mirror
But I consider changing, already knowing what I'll hear.
Hissing and kissing as I walk down the street
'Hey mama', 'Hey honey', 'You're looking pretty sweet'
Comments from the guys cruising in their car
A man sittin on the corner, saying I must be his lucky star
They be staring me down, whistling, saying 'Wow'
These comments make me squirm, make me uncomfortable right now
But I wonder if I'll miss the guarantee of all eyes on me
Once I leave this land and culture by the Carib sea.
This unwanted attention, these cat calls as we say
Will I go through withdrawals once I move away?
What might be the side effects of ceasing to hear
These obnoxious calls to women that right now make me sneer?
Its possible I'll miss all of this once I depart
When I'm just another white gal and not seen as apart
Possible, for sure, but its not a guarantee
That I'll really miss all these men calling out to me
Right now I can only wonder if there's such a disease
As cat call withdrawal once a gal leaves Belize.
No comments:
Post a Comment