Friday, January 29, 2010

The Power of Information

Recently I shared some Peace Corps publications with a woman who is a school counselor and a member of the Town Council. The info I passed her way was a small manual with about a dozen interactive lessons and exercises regarding Values. These activities are awesome to do with youth or groups of people and are right up her alley of work. When I was reviewing them along with a slew of PC publications, I knew I had to get her a copy. So I printed them off, passed them over and told her that if she ever wants help implementing or more information on something, to let me know.

Yesterday, a few weeks after this transaction, I saw her at a meeting I attended and during a break ask her how things are going. She had a bright smile and was excited to tell me that she used two of the exercises with a class of high school students who are failing classes and need some extra assistance. The youth loved them and were completely engaged and well behaved. She thanked me immensely for giving her the information and I could tell by her face that she was excited to use it, excited to share her success with me. I may not have been in the classroom doing direct service work, but I know that I've helped her and the students as well simply by sharing tools at my disposal.

This made my day.

My gesture of sharing information was so simple yet maybe one of the most directly effective things I've done yet. The contents of my brain might be seemingly simple sometimes but to another person, I may have something invaluable to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment