Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What am I doing here??

"So... what are you doing exactly...?"
This is a question I've gotten from a few family members and some friends. My mom reports that when she's asked that question, her answer is (appropriately so) that I'm meeting people, adjusting to life and making connections and forming networks. Thanks, Mama. You are correct. But I realized it might be nice to share a few things that I've actually accomplished or been a part of since swearing in to serve as a youth development PCV here in my little community. This itemizing took place last night as I was reflecting and preparing for a presentation I'm required by Peace Corps to create and present for community members, coworkers, etc. The presentation is called an "Entry Into Site Event" and its purpose is to provide information to as many people as possible about what I'm doing here as a PCV, what my goals and objectives are, a little about Peace Corps and their goals in Belize, and to make my presence known so that people will know that I can help them... Yes! That's right, because I have LOTS of time and I want to help you... with just about anything... and NO, I'm not being sarcrastic. Not at all. Really. Really, really, I'm here to assist. Call on me. Seek me out. I'm ready and equipped with a brain and PC materials that will be helpful. Basically, thats the gist.
So here's what I discovered I've been doing...
  •  The first two days of November, I was invited to a couple different houses to experience cultural practices of All Souls Day and All Saints Day (Nov 1, 2) also referred to as Finados or Dia de los Muertos. I believe I wrote a blog about this during that time. Anyway, my participation in this was definitely a moment of cultural immersion but I was put in charge of documenting the activities in order to write an article for the newsletter that will be published shortly, highlighting the activities of HOC/CACHE (House of Culture / Community of Artists for Cultural & Historical Endeavours).
  • Later in November, CACHE hosted, organized and put on a 5 day (!) International Cultural Festival. I provided assistance in coordinating and organizing different days of the festival including a children's workshop day that took place at the House of Culture. The children's workshop was especially fun, especially since we were expecting perhaps 25 kids and more than 60 showed!! Caracol, an organization out of Arenal village put on the event and were amazing competent in adjusting to the size of the group. It was chaotic but a lot of fun and a huge success. Overall, the festival was a huge success! It took sooo much planning but was worth it for the community to enjoy local and international talent and to just step out and engage in community activity.
  • Back to the newsletter, called Reflections, this is one assignment given to me that will be ongoing. CACHE & HOC (the two organizations that I work for) used to publish and distribute a newsletter within Benque and surrounding areas. However, this hasn't been alive for several years and their hoping that I can revive the publication. Well, I started working in late October on this and submitted the first complete rough draft on Jan 4th, as soon as I was back to work after the holidays. This will be returned to me shortly and then I will be seeking sponsorship from organizations, businesses or generous individuals to publish this and get the word out about what HOC/CACHE are doing. This newsletter will also serve as a bulletin board for the community so there is some formal space for announcements of whats going on around town. Benque currently does not have any newspaper or publication for the town so hopefully this will serve some function.
  • I am planning on starting a chess club with the local Police Youth Cadets. In November I attended a level one training workshop put on by the Belize National Youth Chess Foundation (BNYCF - www.belizechess.org) and I am scheduled to attend the level two training, Saturday January 23rd. By early February, pending word from the Police Department, I will hopefully be starting a once weekly hour long chess club of about 10-14 kids that will meet at House of Culture. Nevermind that I haven't played a full game of chess in years, I know the basics and thanks to BNYCF, I have a fabulous curriculum laid out for me. I've got some homework to do on this yet, but I think it will be a fun project.
  • On the same note of chess, I will be stopping by one of the local primary schools hopefully soon this month to sit in and perhaps assist with an already active chess club. This will give me some insight as to how they're doing it already, and also lend them an extra set of hands which I've learned is always appreciated, especially when working with children.
  • This past weekend, I was invited by the Mayor of Benque to attend a workshop his sister was putting on for troubled youth in Benque (that were identified by school counselors) and their parents. I was able to attend about 2/3 of the activities and made some great connections with school counselors and the youth counselor who works for the Town Council. This workshop took place Friday and Saturday. Sunday morning I attended the follow up meeting where the group organized to keep this project going. Their focus is to keep families and youth engaged in working on improving  and strengthening family relationships, family and personal values, communication and interpersonal skills. We agreed to hold a meeting Wednesday, tomorrow, at the House of Culture (where I work). This is an exciting new group that I think I will continue to engage in. I definitely have some resources and ideas to contribute and I'm all in to support a group of community members with a common goal and purpose. I'm sure I'll have more to report on this later.
  • At the end of every month is a Community Coalition meeting. That might be the wrong name, but basically its a meeting organized by the chief of police aimed at bringing the community together to talk about issues of the town, things going on, things to work on together, etc. I went once and was pulled into a "Clean Up Benque" day - basically, trash pickup with the cadets. It was a lot of fun and a great way to be engaged with the community. I plan to go at the end of this month, and hopefully as often as possible thereafter, to stay up to date on whats going on and keep myself visible in the community, and engaged in everything possible. 
So that's the gist. When I made this list last night I was quite excited to see what I've been doing. And this doesn't include everything really. There are small things here and there that I do randomly. I think its important I keep track of it all too, because there are definitely days (see last blog) when I feel like I'm accomplishing nothing at all. This isn't true. I am getting stuff done. Primarily I am making relationships and networking, but with the new year here and a fresh start for HOC in the community, I think we'll accomplish great things. I'll do my best to write about them too, for your information as well as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment