Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Poustinia Land Art Park

On Monday, I had the opportunity to join Luis Ruiz to go visit Poustinia Land Art Park. This place was created about 20 years ago by Luis and his brother, whom I work with occasionally in Benque, David. It started off as family property initially for cattle raising. They realized they weren't cowboys however and gradually it turned into an art park. The land is absolutely amazing. Located just a few miles outside of Benque, its tucked into the jungle and maintained by a caretaker. Without a caretaker, the jungle would swallow the land once again. This park has been written about in many travel books and is open to visitors for about $20BZ per person. The tickets can be purchased at the House of Culture, where I work, and to which 10% of proceeds are donated. Business for the park is slow as you can probably imagine, but there is always the potential to draw larger crowds. I don't think this is what Luis would want though. He told me that for years he wasn't interested in opening it up to the public; its such an amazing space that he was worried about losing the serene qualities is has.
Well, my trip Monday was absolutely serene. I went with Luis and a married couple from the UK who are writing about Belize in a tourist book. The tour through the park was only my first time there, I'm sure because I must go back. I want to go back alone or with one other person and just sit. The silence is beautiful and not silent at all, when you listen to the birds, bugs and all the other critters around and about you. The art is placed strategically so that you take a walk in the woods (with a map of the park if you wish) and find things. Artists are generally international and come for a few months while they enjoy Belize and Guatemala and get their pieces completed.
One of my goals while in Benque is to start or revive some sort of environmental club. Poustinia would be an amazing outting with the kids of the hypothetical club. Now, the likelihood of this is uncertain. Since it is my goal, I must first inspire others to get on board if I'm actually going to accomplish anything. Progress here is appearing to be a slow process. Patience is that virtue which I must tie myself too and never let go of no matter what the situation. Sometimes I feel like I'm being lazy, getting nothing accomplished. Maybe thats true for some moments. But for the most part, when I feel like such, I try to get out and talk to people and do something active with my day in any aspect. Talking to people is always inspiring. I met a guy today who gives tours at Black Rock Lodge. I want to make friends with him and his people and go on hikes with them. Now, that, just a conversation, is inspiration and perhaps a catalyst to become involved in something. Somehow. Someday. And if I don't find people to talk to or to gain inspiration from, well then, I walk. I walk through the streets, by the river, into the woods (eventually) and remind myself that I'm in Belize and its beautiful. Trees, jungle, wildlife, rivers, beauty. I am challenged. I am bored and amazed, sometimes in the same day. But I'm here. And its a beautiful place to be.




No comments:

Post a Comment