Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving in Belize

Thank God I have an amazing Peace Corps family. Wednesday I had a feast with the PC crew. About 80-90 of us gathered in a huge conference room and feasted on BASTANTE COMIDA. So much food was consumed. I think I had a food baby that was about the 6 months old size living inside of me. Its gone, don't worry. However, the party didn't stop there. I've been eating all weekend as I continue the festivities with some in Cayo. Pizza, BBQ, chicken with beans and rice and plantains, omelets, and of course plenty of Belikin which I've come to enjoy some. Yes, I've changing. Belize is reshaping my life in more ways than one.
Thursday morning I woke up and hit the road by bus to Benque, my home away from home, with some of the Youth Dev crew + one and we went to Melchor, Guatemala. This was a fun experience. Always exciting to get new stamps in the passport. I bought a pinata for Kevin, who's birthday is today. I also bought some gifts for friends and family that will hopefully arrive in the mail intact! Cross your fingers.
Friday we walked to the hammock bridge in Cayo. Sat on the bridge which swings suspended over the water. I picked what I thought were oranges from a tree. It was very exciting to pick an orange, peel it and eat it. Except when my mouth discovered it was a LIME I had some interesting faces, puckers and spitting going on. We saw enormous pigs, a horse and beautiful birds. We walked back and chilled the night away. I must say, I love Cayo and I love these friends of mine.
Saturday, today, is the birthday to Kevin, Travis, Jon Stewart, Anna Nicole Smith, and my 87 year old host grandmother. Good times. I believe there will be some pinata bashing, some cake consumed and plenty more good fun.
Tomorrow, I'll return to my house, take stock of my life, maybe get gas so I can cook something and get ready for the week. Returning to work, and hopefully getting something accomplished. Perhaps a trip to the Poustinia park - which you should google if you don't know about it. Yoga on Thursday and getting my tooth check out because I may have cracked it on a chicken bone. Man! I wish people would debone chickens here. Such is life.
Pictures coming soon to facebook of my stretched out Thanksgiving celebrations. Happy Thanksgiving to all. I'm thankful to know each of you and I miss friends and family during these times especially. Life is good though and I've got some wonderful friends here keeping me company and always keeping me entertained.

1 comment:

  1. Emily:

    Please let me know if you have a small water or sanitation project you'd like to do in Belize.

    Regards,

    Averill Strasser

    Appropriate Projects
    http://appropriateprojects.com

    Water Charity
    http://watercharity.org

    ReplyDelete