I'm sweating sitting still. This could be due to the fact that I'm in an office and just turned the loud fan off. Or it could just be the reality that I'm in Belize and no, its not cold, therefore it does not feel like Christmas. But tomorrow, as soon as the cat meows me awake I will open the present I've received and celebrate in some way or another. It will be a strange day but I'm gonna do what I can to make the best of it and enjoy myself.
Today was my sort of a day of rest. Shannon just left on Tuesday from Belize after visiting for a week. We had an amazing time together frolicking around the country and having many adventures. Some ridiculous and some pretty awesome. We saw the Mayan temples at Xunantunich. Ate lots and lots of delicious food like rice and beans and chicken, garnaches, salbutes, empanadas, burritos, quesadillas, and whatever silly concoctions I created. We played around at Caye Caulker and enjoyed the beach and the wonderful people there. We stayed with PC friends Heather and Christen and we even had a jaunt up into Mexico that through me into serious culture shock. I should have known there would be so many Americans at a resort in Cancun. Ha! I'm used to being one of a few gringas around. Anyway, I arrived back to Benque at long last yesterday and we so glad to drop my bags, hug my kitty and sit still for a while. However, my cat had an infection on his face that required a vet visit today and I woke up sick this morning too. Se la vie.
Even though I woke up sick, I decided to go for a beautiful morning walk in the mist. I went past my house further on the road that leads to a village in Guatemala. The road is desolate, beautiful and so peaceful minus the sporadic vehicles. I brought my camera too to get some shots of the countryside and of the view in the morning mist. One vehicle stopped and asked if I needed a ride. Nope. No thanks. Another vehicle passed and then came back to ask me what I was doing. I explained to the man that I was just walking and that I was fine. He seemed very concerned and said that it wasn't safe and that I should head back. He was white, whatever that means, and I was enjoying myself so I kept going. A third vehicle (all of these being men drivers) stopped. He had kids in the car and was heading off somewhere in his truck, when he stopped, backed up and asked me if I need help or a ride. I explained that I was only walking. Estoy solo caminando senor. He told me that this was dangerous and I should always be careful. Third time's a charm. I was tired and the sun was getting hot anyway. So, might I ask, (I didn't for some reason) why its dangerous to walk? Because I'm alone? Female? On a road where not many people live, walk or drive past? Probably. But I was enjoying myself! And its beautiful!! Bah. I might have to pick a different morning walking route. Pictures will follow though. The morning was absolutely gorgeous.
So tonight I will head home, perhaps eat something, finish a book, listen to music, write... who knows what else. Hopefully someone will come by and invite me to a Christmas function of some sort. I know there is Catholic mass at 9pm. I may actually go. Just for something to do. Makes for great people watching and I get to practice Spanish compreshension too. Tomorrow, Christmas morning. It will be the strangest one of my life. And the first without my family. I think I'll start the day with a walk, perhaps go to my host mom's for lunch and go see people in Cayo or something. Its only a day, no true?
No comments:
Post a Comment