Thursday, October 29, 2009

un otra dia... tan facil

This morning I woke up at 6:15 to dogs barking. Joined Mirsa for breakfast of oats, tamalitos, beans and cheese. Had some instant coffee which never really does the trick. Got ready for the day which means getting dressed, brushing my teeth and putting on face lotion in order to slow the aging process of all this sun. Perhaps a little makeup although it usually melts off within 20 minutes. Then I had about 45 minutes to kill so I read my book, wrote out a shopping list for later today and then left the house. Not needing to be at work for a while, I decided to walk to the boulevard and check in some stores that prices of cat food, bowls, litter, boxes, etc. Cat food is sold in small bags. Dog food however comes in larger bags and for cheaper prices.

Oh yes, I'm getting my cat today. A friend has been caring for it for about 6 weeks so today I will go to Belmopan, go to the bank, get some shopping for the cat done hopefully, do some work in the office, attend Yoga! and then head to pick up the kitty before going home back to Benque.

Anyway, I eventually went to work because walking around even at 8:30am is simply too hot to do. Maybe if I eventually break down and buy a parasol (fancy umbrellas that the ladies carry) to protect my skin it will be easier. I get to work and begin sweating even more profusely. There is no ac here, only fans. Its not so bad as long as you sit relatively still and focus on something other than the heat. I spoke with my counterpart for a little while. We went out to the yard and walked around, looking at plants, smelling flowers, commenting on how dry things are and how this bed needs to be watered, and that bed needs to be weeded.........

A little more sitting around. Pacing. Not sure what to do. Around 9:30 I went with two ladies that work here to the preschool. We brought coloring pages with images reflecting El Dia De Los Muertos for the kids. When we got there they were all sitting, fidgeting, playing around. We got them to sit at different tables (25 kids total) and starting to color. I was given the mission to tell them about the holiday. Being from the House of Culture, we were supposed to be emphasizing the more traditional holiday of Dia de los Muertos (also called Finados) but I didn't feel like  I knew enough to speak to 3-5 year olds about it. Nor was I sure they knew what I was even saying... in english. So I asked one of the girls to do it. She said I probably knew more than she about the subject. So... instead of actually teaching them anything, we congratulated them on drawing well and gave prizes to the top 5. Also a strange thing to do with kids that young, pick 5 best and divide our attention. It was kind of uncomfortable. But I learned this: I have plenty of freedom (and perhaps an expectation) to take the reins, lead the parade, teach lessons and represent House of Culture... I don't know. Its only day 4 officially so I'm still determining my role. The kids were pretty cute though.

They we returned to work. More pacing and sitting and not sure what to do. Check email. There is a message from one counterpart with whom I don't really work much requesting that I call two people to remind them of a meeting tomorrow night because they don't have emails. I will also be attending this meeting and have been requested to take minutes. I immediately feel like a secretary which is a job that I just left behind in Portland for something different... But I am here to support these people I work with so for now I will do said request until or unless further negotiations and discussions need to be had about my role here as a youth development volunteer in Benque.. and as I'm reminded, this is only my first week officially. PATIENCE.

And now I'll go to lunch and spend the rest of the day in Belmopan. Yipee.... Can't wait for yoga. Need to center my mind and find peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment