Monday, October 26, 2009

Mail

Today I got mail in Benque! (Thanks Mama!!) Always a good day. I got a slip delivered to my work address, which I later took with me to the post office to pick up the package. The parcel fee I pay for now is 75cents. I don't have to pay duties until January I think. At that point I have to pay something like 20% duty on the value of what I receive. Today I noticed that my mom did not fill out the value portion of the customs slip which may or may not help me in the future.
One thing though, he did open the package in front of me which threw me off a little bit. He didn't take anything, he was just "verifying the contents" as he said. He peeked briefly and then gave me the box. Someone told me that if something expensive or otherwise worth confiscating is sent, it should be towards the bottom of the box and perhaps underneath or inside of a tampon box. Postal workers (so far only men here) don't want to mess with tampons! Hope this is helpful if you're ever sending something my way. Mostly its to help me once it gets to my end.
From your end, things in padded envelopes (I hear..) are cheaper to send than boxes. Not as easy to pack however.

Thanks in advance for all the mail that I will one day receive. It makes any day even happier!

No comments:

Post a Comment