Thursday, October 8, 2009

First few days in Benque...

  Buenos dias todos. Goodmorning from Benque Viejo del Carmen, aka: Benque. Its very hot here today, that much hasn't changed. I've started this week at my new volunteer position with the House of Culture. So far, its a lot of mental processing of the place. I've been reading materials about HOC, looking at pictures, shadowing the ladies that work here, and meeting people that come by. Yesterday I met the administrator of NICH (National Institute of Culture and History) who came by to check out the place. He is new to his position and hadn't been here apparently. As soon as he spoke, I was refreshed to hear his American accent. He is Belizean but has lived most his time in the states. I also got to meet some high school students from the local high school here who came as a class to visit the exhibit thats currently up in the House of Culture. The teacher was excited to meet me and spoke of perhaps having work for me to do as well in the future.
  Most of the people in Benque speak Spanish primarily. English is widely spoken but it seems that its usually done to conduct business perhaps, or as a favor to me. I have been speaking plenty of Spanish when I can find the words to use. I've also been thinking and dreaming in Spanish lately which I hear is a good thing. Its been a frustrating experience to constantly be listening to people so intently, trying to catch their meaning.
  I'm currently living with a kind woman and her mother who is 87 next month. They are both very sweet. Mirsa, my host "mom" is 53 and speak both Spanish and English. It is great to practice in Spanish with her but she's also very gracious and speaks plenty of English with me as well. Her mother, Graciela, doesn't know much English but is cute when she tries to speak it to me. Mostly its Spanish with her, I listen and smile and nod, and desperately try to find meaning in all of her words. She usually stops to make sure I've understood too so I can't just play along. :) She's got lots of stories and words to share with me and as we sit on the porch in the cool evenings, there is plenty of time for that.
  The house that they live in is right across from Town Hall and in between the two is a park where children like to come and play. The kids also like to came and talk with the ladies and myself. Again, more practice en espanol, but sometimes they want to speak English to me to. Its a great mix of many languages here. Including the occassional Kriol, which I can sort of understand and sometimes try to speak, and then the Mayan Kek'chi - which flys right over my head. Not even going there... So in the evening, after dinner (or tea as they call it) we sit on the porch, watch the kids, and talk.
  The pace of life here is slow. Relaxed. Tranquilo. I hope that once I find my place here, and figure out my role, find things for myself to do, I can be busy with various tasks. It will take some continuous adjustment for me to get used to the pace of life. Sometimes I feel like time crawls here. I often find myself taking a deep breath, as if I've slowed down so much I've forgotten to breath.
  Its kind of lonely without my other Peace Corps Trainees... Christa is only 9 miles away in Cayo which is nice. I'll go visit her on Saturday. Roger is here in Benque with me but since he's been rather sick we haven't had time to visit. And the rest, well, there's some in Belmopan, and then scattered north and south. I'm sure I'll find plenty of reasons to visit others and to work together on joint projects perhaps. For now, I'm trying to practice patience in settling here. I worry thinking, "Oh,. how am I ever going to get started?" or "What will I do?" But I'm just going to take it one day at a time. Each day will show me something new. Each day I will meet new people and find new places. And hopefully, in time, and with plenty of days passing by, I'll feel at home here ~ for here is where I am slated to be for two years. I'm hoping to make the best of it and I think I'll find plenty to love and enjoy!
  I will admit though, I'm rather homesick right now missing people back home. I feel like the past 7 weeks of training have been flying by, so packed and busy. And now? Crashed to a halt. Now I've got to pick up speed and regain momentum on my own accord. No more COTE. No more master calendars. Time to get to work. Time to be creative. Its a challenge and a scary opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment