Monday, October 26, 2009

Taking the Oath

Well it has finally happened. This past Thursday, October 22, I joined 39 other Peace Corps Trainees and PC staff at a ceremony held in the afternoon at Belize Park - which is the yard of the Governor General's place. We had speeches, clapping and then we all took the oath of service as Peace Corps Volunteers. Its official! No longer a trainee and the 2 year clock has started! It was a very exciting day, beautifully hot and sunny and we all looked gorgeous, excited and ready for the adventure. Some brave souls addressed the audience in native languages too! Props to Christen for the address en espanol, to Peter for the address in Kriol, to Greg for the address in Kek'chi and to Roger, who made us all teary just a bit, for the address in English to all. There are many pictures and of course... they're on the way. I'm always slow with that part.

Later that evening, we all bussed it over to the Ambassador's house! Oh my, what a beautiful place. This evening did not feel like the Peace Corps Belize experience anyone expected. It was more like a fancy wedding party of something. But it was for us - Peace Corps Volunteers. All the newbies (40) and the PCVs that have been here a year (20something) along with staff of Peace Corps, the Ambassador and his wife came together in this beautiful home for an open bar of wine and beer (there was a Pinot Noir from California!!!) and a beautiful, delicious buffet of homemade authentic Indian food. (The Ambassador and his wife are Indian.) I had worked with some other volunteers to make superlative awards and we had a quick humorous ceremony to give awards to each new volunteer. Mine was biggest Peace Corps hippie, of course.
After plenty of time eating, drinking, and talking with all, we made our way back to the bus, and back to the Gar Den hotel for a slightly ridiculous night of debauchery for all PCVs. There was a game of limbo (I need to do more yoga...) and at one point I saw a shooting star. :) Much, much fun, not to be described in much more detail. Some pictures to come.

Its official though and I'm excited to be a volunteer. I made it through training and they say if I can do that, I'm good to go. Also to note... one Peace Corps statistic says that about 1 of 10 people make it through training and actually swear in. I would like to brag real quick that we were 41. One woman jumped ship within the first week, but other than that all forty of us made it!! We're a proud group, close and excited to be in this together. Props to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment