Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Semana Santa - Fin de Semana


I've been here long enough to experience some holidays twice now, including Semana Santa, or Holy Week. Working along with the House of Culture, I helped out a little bit in creating some sawdust carpets on one street in Benque. The House of Culture staff along with many volunteer kids and youth, and the Euphoria Dance Company members, created a total of four sawdust carpets. These unique carpets line the streets which are later (only hours later!) walked along as the church members and town show in numbers for a procession which leaves the church Friday evening following mass. This is a custom most known from Guatemala but it is becoming a stronger tradition in Benque Viejo. You can probably find more info online about the tradition but basically, a bunch of sawdust is collected and then its died into many brilliant colors which are then applied to stenciled designs. The final product are "carpets" which line the streets decoratively.  I've also posted a couple pictures. 

 

After working on the carpets a few hours I went to visit my host mom, Mirsa, who fed me delicious food like bollos de chaya (boiled ground corn with leaves like spinach), palmito - which is the heart of a cohune tree, delicious!, rice and beans and salad. I visited with her and Graciela, my "abuela" for a while and then went home thinking I was in for a long and lovely evening of nothing to do. Not so. I got a knock at my door by my friend who wanted me to join her with the procession. After some deliberation I got dressed and went out. The whole town was out it seemed and dressed to the nines. The procession had many volunteers who carried three "floats" for lack of a better term; there were also two marching bands. The floats were seriously heavy with about 40 men to carry the biggest one. Turns out it was reinforced with steel instead of aluminum. Oops! Pictures included. 

For some of those ladies, I couldn't decide if they were ready to go clubbing or actually there to solemnly contemplate the crucifiction of Jesus. But everyone did look nice and sharp and the number of people out was pretty astonishing. The procession left the Catholic church, which is right next to me, and proceeded on a route through town that normally would take about 20 minutes most to walk. We walked for over three hours. At several points, I felt ready to bolt, but couldn't really leave my company without being rude. So I persevered for reasons none other than experiencing this culture and integrating even further with my community. My friend told me at the end that at least I had paid pennance for my sins (I guess by being so uncomfortable walking at snails pace for three hours). My internal response was something like, "Wait, I thought Jesus took care of all sins on the cross.. Isn't that what this WHOLE day is about??? And you're still trying to carry the guilt?!" I didn't say such a thing however, but instead, continued walking, and complaining of my back pain like a viejita (little old lady).

the front "float" or massive structure which they carried for three hours+
all the people in robes and hoods are men carrying the massive structure



On Saturday morning I took off for a wonderful yoga class with my dear friend Marla and others. Marla was visiting with her husband, Bryan, from Honduras for a short time and it was a lovely evening of yoga followed by barbeque with friends. Saturday evening I was returned to my house and Sunday afternoon I packed up and headed out to meet other friends and coworkers for camping at the Barton Creek Outpost. This was such a perfect end to a busy wonderful weekend. The river came from the caves so it was ice cold - which was a blessing in degrees of up to 105F! We got to camp, roast marshmallows, play cards, do some yoga (I instructed a mini-session for the very first time ever!), swim in the river and explore some nearby caves. (Sorry I don't have pictures of this... but will post some on FB sometime soon. )There are times when the sun melts my positive spirits and loneliness sets in - but this weekend was full of excellent friendships, experiences, and enjoyment of my environment and this beautiful life.

Side note: Friday, April 22nd was also Earth Day - So Happy Earth Day! The same day was also a marker - SIX Months Left of PC service. Exit strategies are being considered and lists are constructing themselves in my head of all the things left to do. Its going to fly by and its going to be great. I'll keep you updated with the many adventures along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment