Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sensory Experience

I was walking down the street on a beautifully sunny, warm but not scorching day, heading to the Chinese shop for some things. From a yard to my right I hear a rooster crow at about 11:45am. To my left is a baby crying from inside a house and I see a man with a machet chopping his yard. A stray dog runs across the street in front of me up a driveway, apparently scavenging for scraps to eat. Ahead of me towards the boulevard is a rickety pickup truck spewing exhaust and chugging along up the hill. A boy is sitting in the back. I reach the store and there are cabbies sitting around, waiting for business. Passing the day. Women are on the corner with their umbrella as protection from the sun while they sell tacos, garnaches and empanadas. I hear Chinese, English and Spanish being spoken.

And I have a moment, a realization that I'm in Belize. In Central America. And its a beautiful thing. Indeed.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this post, I think it captures a moment a lot of us have experienced...well done:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You paint such vivid pictures. I love it! I can visualize where you are and the moments you experience. What a strange new world. You're in Belize!!!

    ReplyDelete