Tuesday, March 16, 2010

World Map Project

The Peace Corps has a project that was started in the 80s by another Ms White. Barbara Joe I believe. She had an idea to make a mural of the world map as an art project for kids to have a good time and be a part of something and also to open their eyes to realize that the world is big and there is lots to know about it. Anyway, many years later this project still goes on around the world by Peace Corps Volunteers and others. Here in Belize we started somewhat of a national competition. I think it may turn into "Who will actually get it done?" but we'll see who's is "best". Mine. Most definitely. 

So far its been a fun process. We measured off 4'x8' for the map. Primed it white, painted it two coats of blue for the ocean and then borrowed an LCD (?) projector to trace the map onto the wall when it got dark out. This part took about 45 minutes which really impressed me. The kids are a very informal group since I don't work directly with any group of kids necessarily. But they come and go and they have a lot of fun. 



The kids in this photo are my regulars and the most dedicated. The two boys are brothers, both called Usher because thats their last name apparently. Those don't speak much English so I found myself fluently rattling directions and encouragement in Spanish last Saturday. It was an encouring and rewarding day. The little girl is Rueli and I'm thrilled that I actually remember her name. I've learned that I'm terrible with names but I'm ok with. Especially with kids, just keep asking.  We have until April 14th to be done done with the project so between now and then, we'll finish coloring the countries in, work on outlines, do touchups, labeling and make a border around it. I'm hoping to call on some local talented artists to help us with the finishing touches. On top of having a BLAST the kids are also learning alot. When we first started no one could tell me which continents were which nor could they find Belize. They were rather amused to see how tiny Belize is in such a big world. Every time I meet with the kids now they get a quiz. And by the end of this, we will all be smarter people. Completed pictures to come. 

If you're interested in doing this in your school or community stateside, I've got a pdf manual I can send your way for info. Its been a very fun project!

2 comments:

  1. You rock! Send me the manual, and maybe we can do it here, too. Those kids must be loving you, hermana. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! I'm Barbara Jo White and I just love the map the kids made. I was in Belize teaching English in 1996 and UCB and loved it.Now I teach at a university in the US...but this summer, I'm in Sierra Leone volunteering with a couple of NGOs. Sierra Leone gets its first PCVs since the war in about 2 days...I hope to do a World Map Project workshop with them. take care!
    I would love more pics of your map(s) to post on the world map project website (theworldmapproject.com)please send them to me at peacecorpsworldmapproject@gmail.com
    thanks

    ReplyDelete