For the past few weeks, on Saturdays I’ve been going to a women’s jewelry making group. I made a bracelet for myself the first week out of seeds called ‘milagros de San Pedro” or “tears of Saint Peter” and some small green “seed beads” (not actually seeds). I went the second time and helped them pull grass out of seeds. Really, I’m not that interested in making jewelry, which is strange because I love it, I’m just interested in meeting the women, seeing what they’re doing, listening to their fast Spanish and try to comprehend what I can.
Anyway, the jewelry coming out of the group is amazing really. I bought five pairs of earrings from my friend Yoli who had never done this type of art before in her life, but who loved it so much, she created 35 different styles of earrings in a two week time span. Her collection, along with the works of the other women, went on display last Sunday at an event in the Park. Tardes Culturales Familiares (Family Culture Nights) are put on monthly by CACHE. This past event we displayed the Women in Business, Cayo West banner on their table which was filled with jewelry, baskets, doiles, flowers and more.
There was another table display put up by Mopan Technical High School. They had a table of fruits and veggies that we manipulated to look like creates or scene. Following are a few photos. There were also games played, such as jacks, tops, card games, and Twister! When the sun went down they played a movie and the people gathered round to watch, to chat, to play. It was a beautiful evening in the park.
No comments:
Post a Comment