Here's some brief updates for you including all the tidbits and projects that I've gotten myself into lately...
Amigos del Ambiente recently has its first meeting of 2011 last week, where the kids excitedly harvested their first vegetables: radishes! I taught them a few ways to prepare the radish including using the roots in a salad and also using the leaves to make a pesto - both delicious options. 15 of 25 registered kids showed up which is great in my opinion. Our next meeting will be on February 1st, when we will plant some more seeds and decorate and paint the garden beds to make it more attractive. February 12th, I am organizing a field trip for the kids, where we will go to a local lodge to visit medicinal trail gardens, composting project, and some other gardens as well. This will all be exciting, as well as a lot of work, but the project is going well, the kids are still highly engaged and interested and I'm staying busy. Today I had 5 adults helping me with various portions of the activity, a few staff members of HOC and a couple high school students, which was also great to see.
As for the Reflections newsletter, the January edition came out on time in my absence which was a success and an accomplishment. The next one will be published April 1st so we have some time before that. In the meantime I will keep doing what I do in order to have something to write about for the upcoming edition. Email me if you'd like to receive a e-copy of this newsletter.
The WID/GAD committee (Women In Development / Gender in Development) met for its first quarterly meeting of the year, early in January. This was very productive and I have another meeting scheduled in February to develop small projects we can take on - assisting or complementing the projects of individuals, organizations or agencies that are working towards issues with domestic violence. The project has yet to be developed but more details soon.
I have also started working with the Minitry of Education and the Belize Foundation for Conservation, planning for the Summer Environmental Teacher's Institute which will take place in July this year. I worked along with another PCV on this project last year, and the information gained has since complemented my environmental projects very well. I will be identifying one volunteer from the incoming group in March who might be able to work alongside me with this and take the reigns in 2012. The Benque House of Culture may be applying for a volunteer for 2011-2013 (essentially my replacement then perhaps that same volunteer could work with me on the project, and also continue to assist with Amigos del Ambiente. These are my thoughts.
I recently met with the Mayor of Benque as well as two other volunteers here in Benque to discuss activities for Earth Day in April and also some park projects for later in the year. Amigos del Ambiente will participate in several activities such as tree planting and the construction of different gardens. I shouldn't be surprised to again be getting into environmental projects, dirtying my hands and having a blast in the process.
Other "side" projects include participation with the Euphoria Dance Company which is sponsored by the Benque House of Culture. I haven't done a whole lot with this group other than work with the director and stay updated with activities. But more will come.
Got all that? Good. Pictures coming soon. Right now. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment