Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wildlife

You may recall that I live *directly* in front of a Pentacostal Spanish speaking church. Well, I haven't moved - though I've certainly given it strong thought - so I am quite frequently serenaded with vibrant keyboard music tracks which are completed with enthusiastic clapping and singing of course, which varies in pitch on a regular basis, never being quite on key. When I first moved in, someone in the community had warned me about this church... after I'd made a verbal agreement to rent for two years and paid for the first months rent. I decided to carry forth in moving in, figuring that church would only be one or twice a week, right? Wrong. Oh so very wrong. Church in Belize is a social event; in fact a main source of socialization for many of the church-goers it seems. Though I haven't yet figured if this particular church has an actual schedule, they meet frequently, as in 3-5 times a week. Sometimes its for one hour, sometimes for three. Sometimes its a little singing and a short sermon followed by hoots and hallelujahs, and other times, well, there's all that and more.

One night was particularly bad. It was a Saturday evening and I was kicking around the house enjoying some "me time", of which I have plenty. I decided to do yoga and it was near the end of my session, when entering shavasana (the part where you lay down and rest and meditate) the church behind me screamed to life with keyboards on loud speakers and a singer blasting her voice into the microphone. I was quite dismayed to have my yoga ended in such a way and eventually got up, no longer at peace but a bit angry instead, and took a shower. This was at 6:00pm. It was not until 11pm that the church finally went silent and empty and dark. I had gone for a walk but still had to return home to the noise pollution filling my home. Finally, nearing 2am I was able to sleep and slept in quite late because of that.

In the morning, I walked outside to pick up some scattered trash from the yard and a bird squawked and flew right over my head. I ducked not sure what was going on and as I glanced up again there was a beautiful, medium sized parrot perched on a wire right above my head! It looked at me, cocked its head and began chattering away as if it had come just to say good afternoon. I chirped to it in return and we had a little conversation. I then told it to stay put, "I'll be right back." I scurried inside and grabbed my camera and when I came back, he was still there. I snapped about a dozen photos and he continued to hang out, apparently very interested in me as I was in him. The scene was so unbelievable to me and I took it as a reward for putting up with the church for so long the night before. Silly, I know, but it was a satisfying consolation. I got greedy and grabbed a stick thinking that the bird might want to jump aboard and maybe walk around my yard with me. Yeah right. He flew off and perched higher in a nearby tree. I then started looking at the trees in my yard: an almond tree that gives me lots of shade and provides shelter for many different birds and critters; a mango tree that gives fruit; a coconut tree. I live in a beautiful house with a beautiful yard. What a blessing. No, I don't want to move. I walked out into the yard to stare in awe at this bird in the tree. After a moment I glance down at my legs which were being sucked by about 25 mosquitoes. Yikes! Time to go inside, put on some pants and perhaps some bugspray. It certainly is rainy season, and with that come out the blood sucking fiends in full force.

A few mornings ago, I woke up bleary eyed and groggy and went out into the main room of my house, greeted  by my vocal cat who was practically yelling at me to be let out. This is pretty routine. I went to the door and flipped the locks, swinging the door open to release him into the beautifully cool morning air. He poked his head out slowly before jumping back in surprise. I was curious and stuck my own head out, towering above his. We both watched in shock and awe as a solid colored, black snake, probably about 2ft long, serenely slithered away from the front door and back out towards the yard. Mogley, the cat, followed it cautiously from a distance. I ran inside to get my glasses to see better and then did the same. When I returned outside, Mogley was standing above a tiny hole in the ground right outside my house watching into the blackness of the opening. There was no snake anymore but I'm guessing thats his home. I tapped Mogley and giggled when he jumped, startled, and then backed away quickly.

I tried to add pictures of both these animals but to no avail. Google Belize Parrots and Black snakes if you want. You'll better pictures that I have anyway. Perhaps the parrot pics will be up soon. :)

I told my friend about this and she first told me to leave it alone. Clearly. Then she told me I needed to throw garlic out to get rid of it. This sounded like some witchcraft or something so I asked her to clarify. What, exactly, is garlic going to do? Apparently they don't like the smell! Do I need to mince it, I asked. No. :) Apparently not. Later that day I crushed the garlic to release the smell some and threw three cloves out: one by the front door, one near the front gate, and one a few feet from the actual hole. I was warned not to throw one right on the hole in case the snake came right out to get me. I never would have known! Well, I haven't seen the snake since so maybe I'm in the clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment