Every day there is something that could be written about. Yet everyday at work lately has been busy and therefore the blog has been severely neglected. Well, here's a random moment from a day in the life...
One blazing hot afternoon I was walking from my house after lunch heading the five blocks back to work. I stand out around here (ha! for many reasons) for not having an umbrella. All the ladies walk with umbrellas (or sombrias) in the sun. Not the guys. I did have an umbrella but it broke and I haven't yet parted with another $15 to get the next one. Anyway, its so hot my feet feel like they're baking with each step. I'm approaching the Chinese grocery shop on the corner and notice two gringos with packed up bicycles. These bikes are loaded with stuff! Saddle bags on each side and stuff hanging front and back. These white boys are sitting in a sliver of shade on a bench drinking water from their bottles. I'm not normally inclined to chat up the white folks I see but I was too intrigued. I stopped and asked them where they were headed. One guy said Argentina, the other, Honduras. They had just biked across the border from Guatemala and were headed into San Ignacio and then further inland before heading south. So where were they coming from? Seattle, Washington. "Oh, but we're originally from Alaska." said one. How interesting and small this world is. I tell them I came here to Benque from Portland, Oregon and before that Juneau, Alaska.
The synopsis of their travels thus far was too intriguing. I kept asking questions. Eventually one guy told me to sit down, I was making him nervous standing in the direct sunlight. So I sat for a few minutes, answered their questions about where a bike shop could be found, where they might find good food, and whats to do in San Ignacio. I professed my respect and admiration for them, riding as far as they had and for the long journey ahead. One of the guys responded... "Well, ya know, its only a bike ride. Little bit at a time."
Right.
And off I went to work, walking one foot in front of the other, awe struck at the fact that someone could ride their bike through so many countries, across so many miles...
No comments:
Post a Comment